Thursday, January 20, 2011

Maybe?

One of the semi-regulars came in today, and brought who I thought was her father. It turns out it was her mothers boyfriend. But whatever. They have money. A lot of money. She (the customer) is going to med school, and she might be staying in "one of their houses in Florida", just to give you an idea.

So one thing leads to another, and the mother's boyfriend asks if we're for sale. How the hell did he know? I've been trying to be careful who I mention this to because I don't want to freak out the customers.

Since you don't really know me I can say without modesty that it's been my belief, the last year and a half or so, that without me, this place would cease to exist. All things being equal, I'm the reason people come here. It's hard to explain. But that's why I've really only mentioned my plans to a very select few. The few people I would actually like to continue being friends with after the inevitable. Oh I may have said..."all businesses are for sale (they always are)", or..."for the right money I'd walk." that sort of thing, but I just assumed that's what people understood about business. It happens all the time. "Under New Management!" You've seen the signs right?

They tried to buy a hair salon but that fell through or something, so they've been looking for something else. Apparently the daughter is trying to talk them into buying the place. She just wants to tan for free, but whatever works I say.

And I made yet another phone call this morning to the landlord of the building I'd like to lease for the bar. It's getting hard to keep all this straight. I hope I'm making the right decisions.

Unfortunately you never know until it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment